Every business has had to face moments of disruption at some point or another. However when faced with disruption on a national scale, it takes response and preparation to a whole new level. It is a time when companies are really put to the test, but a time when they can truly live up to their purpose and values.
Here are my 5 top tips to help businesses get through these difficult times.
- Protect your employees. Your employees cannot serve your customers well unless they feel appreciated and protected. Do everything you can to ensure their safety and wellbeing.
- Set up that response team. No man is an island. You need that one team that works incredibly well together, that knows the business inside out. Put a plan together, share it, debate it, agree on it and implement it. Have clear lines of communication to facilitate roll-out of all activities.
- Stress test those finances. Assume the worst case scenario and ensure that payroll is protected and you have enough cash flow to pay those critical suppliers on which your core business depends.
- Protect the business. Have all the checks and balances in place to make sure that you can continue to serve your customers remotely. Prioritise services, faults, or suppliers, whatever your business may be.
- BE BOLD. Don’t be afraid to take bold decisions if this means that you are protecting your people, your business and ultimately the community. Do what feels right.
This is not the time to focus on competitors or the future. This is the time for the here and now. A time when businesses should come together, bring out the best in each other and step up for the benefit of the country.